When you’re visiting L.A. for the first time you will probably be overwhelmed with the thought of what to do. Los Angeles is a gigantic, diverse city and there is no way you could ever really “see it all”. Hollywood is probably the most iconic hot spot on every traveler’s to do list and I’m going to give you the inside scoop.
Top 15 Things to do in Hollywood
- Stroll the Hollywood “Walk of Fame“ – Located on Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street and visited by millions of people from all over the world. Each name has made a significant contribution to the entertainment history and it is a true Hollywood landmark. For more info as to where your favorite stars are located visit http://hwof.com/about/hwof/.
- Hollywood Museum – This has been voted the #1 museum in Los Angeles. It is located in the historic Max Factor building and features extensive Lucille Ball and Marilyn Monroe exhibits. There are also lots of movie artifacts and historical insights.
- Capitol Records Building – So many music legends have been bade in this building and it has a pretty unique architectural style. Some say the building resembles stacked records.
- Hollywood and Highland Center – Located right in the heart of Hollywood it offers several popular retailers and restaurants with a great view of the city.
- Amoeba Music – This is the world’s largest independent record store. They have an awesome selection of new and used records, CD’s, DVD’s – you name it! Plus you never know who you might run into here.
- Hike Runyon Canyon – Admittedly, probably the most popular hike in L.A. but definitely worth it. Go early as it tends to get crowded and it’s an easy to moderate trek.
- Hike the Hollywood Sign – I have done this a few times via the Hollyridge Trail. The trail takes you behind the sign and you get a breathtaking panoramic view of the city. It is the closest you can possibly (legally) get to the sign itself.
- Sunset Ranch Horseback Rides – Sunset Ranch is located at the trailhead of the Hollyridge Trail. From here you can ride to through the Hollywood Hills on horseback and explore the city.
- Catch an improv show at iO West – Voted “LA’s Best Improv” and located on Hollywood Boulevard, you can kill 2 birds with one stone here. They also have a full service bar.
- Go see the Groundlings – In my humble opinion, if you could only pick one thing to do, this would be it!
- TCL Chinese Theater – Ever wonder where those infamous cement handprints were? They are right out front of the TCL Chinese Theater. Several star-studded events are hosted here annually.
- El Capitan Theater – It was built in 1926 and has been fully restored to it’s original beauty. Movies are still played here and it is a one of a kind Hollywood theater experience.
- Hollywood Bowl – This is an iconic music venue that has been around for more than 100 years. I still have yet to see a show here but I plan on seeing Incubus there in August.
- Hollywood Heritage Museum – Here you can view historic documents and photographs that played a pivotal role in the film industry as we know it today. It is only open weekends and has very reasonable admission fees.
- Hollywood Forever Cemetary – This is not your average cemetary. It is known as a final resting place for many Hollywood stars.
Have a great weekend!